Don’t Be Fooled by an Apparent Virus
A quick post…
In light of all the media this conflicker worm is getting, doomed to hit PCs everywhere starting tomorrow, please be advised. If this IS a real attack (unknown as of yet), be on guard with a couple of things:
1. Common Sense: My Anti-virus advice- You can’t get a virus unless you ask for it (generally). Don’t open emails from people you don’t know, Don’t download attachments from people you don’t know, and don’t browse to unpopular sites.
2. Windows Update: make sure you’re up to date with all your security patches and windows updates.
3. Tools: make sure you have good PC protection tools like AVG Anti-virus & Windows Defender and if you DO get this worm, head on over to this article by the Homeland Security for information on how to rid yourself of the junk.
4. Maximumpc.com: IF you HAVE been subject to fowl play, MaximumPC.com says how you can tell: “Other telltale signs that you might be infected with Conficker is if you haven’t received any automatic updates from Windows in March, if you’re unable to update your antivirus program, or if your security software is running abnormally slow as of late. You can also try accessing major AV sites, as Conficker will attempt to block these.”
5. Get Better Protection: Buy a Mac. Like MaximumPC says: “How can I Avoid Infection? …buy a Mac…”
6. ASK ME: If you need help with a suspected virus, worm, malware, or any other computer issue/advice, leave your comments below or send me an email.
If you were infected and were able to fix the damage, I’d like to hear how you did it.
Good Luck keeping safe.